The Fundamentals of Sonic Art & Sound Design introduces a subject that will be new to many: sonic arts. The application of sound to other media (such as film or video) is well known, and the idea of sound as a medium in its own right is also widely accepted. However, the idea that sound could also be a distinct art form by itself is less well established and often misunderstood.The Fundamentals of Sonic Arts & Sound Design introduces, describes and begins the process of defining this new subject and provides a starting point for anyone who has an interest in the creative uses of sound.
The book explores the worlds of sonic arts and sound design through their history and development, and looks at the present state of these extraordinarily diverse genres through the works and words of established artists. It discusses the wide range of practices that currently come under the heading of ‘sonic art’, as well as the technologies that are used and the impact that they have upon the work.
- Introduces students to the diverse disciplines of sonic art and sound design, examining the relevant technologies and approaches to recording, performance and display.
- Describes the history and development of sonic art as a distinct subject.
- Supported by a variety of examples, quotations and interviews with artists, as well as student resources, suggested reading and listening.
- The discipline-specific titles in our Fundamentals range are aimed at students embarking on further education and offer a thorough grounding in the subject.
- This book provides students with an introduction to sonic art, and examines specific artists, techniques and issues in greater detail.
“Excellent title; inspiring. The interviews are particularly valuable and insightful” Gareth Jenkinson, Goldsmiths, UK
978 2 940373 49 9
£12.19 from Amazon
200 colour images
230mm x 200mm
Paperback with flaps